Tuesday 8 January 2013

{January Joy - 8th Jan}


'Try some new music' is today's #JanuaryJoy prompt from Florence Finds... for those of you that know me, or are regular readers, you'll know that my taste in music is a bit naff at times (who am I kidding, most of the time!). I love nothing more that a dance to some cheesy pop tunes whilst tidying round the house, doing a bit of DIY or bopping with the kids in the car. If I'm running or at the gym I have some upbeat tunes in my 'Jogging' playlist that I would listen to and whilst in the car I would tend to listen to the local radio station... but generally speaking I rarely listen to music. 

I've never really been one for live gigs or festivals. In my lifetime, I've been to a handful of live events... starting as a young teenager with the Mizz roadshows (Peter Andre, Mysterious Girl!!) and a Boyzone concert, then as an adult I've been to see Coldplay and Ocean Colour Scene.


I know the influence music can have on memories , and I associate a number of artists and songs with both happy and sad memories from my childhood and growing up... Phil Collins, Against All Odds; Kenny G, Breathless; Simply Red, Stars; Gipsy Kings, Bamboleo; Annie Lennox, Walking on Broken Glass; Enya, Watermark; Bryan Adams, Everything I do I do it for you; All-4-one, I swear; Procol Harum, A whiter shade of pale; Lemar, Dance; Lionel Ritchie, Three times a lady; Michael Jackson, Black or White; Snow Patrol, Chocolate; Coldplay, Fix You....

However, at the moment the songs of choice from the kids are the 'wiggle bottom song' (Nicki Minaj, Starships) or the 'up and down song' (Rihanna, We found love) - with both names referring to the dance that we do to the song (and no, before you ask I will not be posting a vlog with our moves!!).

I'm feeling I should be improving the music for our memories (that make sense?) and that perhaps I could widen our music selection so that my children will hopefully have a bit better music taste than their mummy!!

So, over to you - what music should I be trying as part of this prompt? Something cheerful preferably :-)

9 comments:

  1. Alabama shakes! Bobby Womacks new album and anything by the Reverend Al Green. You will be cool I promise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alabama shakes! Bobby Womacks new album and anything by the Reverend Al Green. You will be cool I promise x

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about "Price Tag" by Jessie J! Danceable & has good lyrics too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a great uplifting song - play at full blast - posted the link to youtube. Peter Gabriel playing live on Jools Holland.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GpCdV61JA0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ed Sheeran, Ben Howard, Emeli Sande & Amy McDonald's albums are all on my current playlist. I would recommend any of those. 🎶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab - thank you. I think it's about time I downloaded some more tunes x

      Delete

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...