Thursday 19 December 2013

{#ShareAdvent - Favourite Family Recipe}

I made a big pot of Chilli Con Carne when I had guests over for my Social and Cocktail party last month.

Chilli has always been a firm family favourite, and it's ideal for entertaining at this time of the year. Even my little ones enjoy a mild chilli with rice and flour wraps.

I made a batch of chilli, stuck it in the slow cooker on 'warm' as we demolished the cocktails, and then served it with plenty sour cream, guacamole, nachos and salsa. Easy.


Here's the recipe from the BBC GoodFood website, that both Ali (my sister) and I have used at recent parties we've thrown. I'm sharing this for today's #ShareAdvent prompt, favourite family recipe.

{Ingredients}

1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I use ready garlic in a tube)
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
500 g lean minced beef
1 beef stock cube
400 g can chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried majoram
1 tsp sugar (I added two squares of dark chocolate instead when I added the beans)
2 tbsp tomato puree
410 g red kidney beans

{Method}

Put your pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and leave for a minute until hot.

Add the onions, and cook until soft (about 5 min).

Add the garlic, red pepper, chilli powder, paprika and ground cumin. Stir and leave to cook for 5 minutes.

Add the meat and break it up with a spoon or spatula. Keep stirring until the mince is in uniform sized lumps and there are no more pink bits.

Make up the beef stock cube in hot water. Pour this into the mince mixture.

Add the tomatoes, marjoram, sugar, salt, pepper and tomato puree.

Bring the whole thing to the boil, then turn the heat down and leave it for 20 minutes gently bubbling.

Add the kidney beans (& chocolate) and leave to cook for another 10 minutes. Taste the chilli, and season as necessary.

Replace the lid and take it off the heat. Leave to stand for 10 minutes prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...