Saturday 4 October 2014

{Children and Technology}

I was at a BBQ in Aberdeen a few months ago with the kids. I had arrived prepared with a handful of Lego & sticker books to keep them amused as I wasn't sure how old the other children would be. My kids are happy to make conversation with grown ups and they sat beautifully at the table with my sister & I discussing Star Wars, Lego and computer games with us and the other adults.

My son asked my permission to go and talk to one of the other slightly older boys at the party. He went over & said Hi and tried to strike up a conversation about Star Wars. The boy was wearing a Star Wars jacket you see. 

But my son was ignored a bit :-( and the other boy wasn't interested in playing.

There was a group of the older kids, maybe 6-9 years old, and they were all silent...too busy playing on their iPads. None of them were making conversation and I thought it was so sad. 

By the end of the evening my son was sat next to the boy in the Star Wars jacket watching him play Minecraft over his shoulder. The conversation was one-sided though.


When I was 9 years old our game of choice when the grown-ups were partying at BBQs or other get togethers was hide n'seek in the dark. The person that was 'it' wore a pair of sunglasses with lights on them so those that were hiding could see when they were near and it kept us amused for hours on end.

My faith was restored though when we went to another BBQ, this time it was outside Edinburgh. My son found a boy that was about 7 and the two of them hit it off. They spent hours running around, doing role play & making up silly games. No technology in sight. 

Don't get me wrong, I think iPads or other tablet devices have their place, but I can't help but feel it's had a massive negative impact on communication (not just the children I might add!!).

I own a Kindle Fire (that the kids still aren't aware of!) and I don't have a laptop. I'm keen to keep it that way, for now at least.


What are your thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. Aww! How rubbish for your son to be virtually ignored....
    My girls both have laptops and tablets but will quite happily play with each other, outside and away from technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it has its place, I'm sure it was TVs when I was their age, but this is exactly why I dislike it. x

    ReplyDelete

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...