Thursday 1 January 2015

Highs and Lows of 2014

This is my third year year of taking part in Kate's Highs and Lows blog hop. It's really interesting to go back and see what was written in the previous years. You'll find my 2013 and 2012 posts here and here.

So here are this year's responses:

1. What was your happiest event?
I have had a lot of happy events this year, but the best has to be dropping the L-bomb ;-) It took a while, but it was worth the wait.

2. What was the saddest thing to happen?
Not the saddest per se, but one of the toughest things I had to deal with this year was a Crohn's flare-up and a colonoscopy.

3. What was the most unlikely thing to happen that actually went ahead and did? 
Getting our two gorgeous kittens, Rhubarb & Crumble.

Rhubarb having a snooze on Rick's shoulder. Aw!
4. Who let you down?
Hmmm...not sure. I'm convinced I've let down plenty of people rather than the other way around. I never have enough time to do all the things I want to do or spend time with all the people I'd like to see. Something I need to work on for 2015.

5. Who supported you?
Family & friends. Special mention here to my wee sis Ali and my other half Rick x


Rick, me, my sister Ali & her boyfriend Robin on Boxing Day

6. Tell us what you learned. 
That it's just not possible to do it all, despite trying my hardest.

7. Tell us what made you laugh. 
* Rick - not at him obviously, but with him!

* My banana vlog cracks me up every time I watch it.

* I took the kittens to see my gran over Christmas & she got a fright as Rhubarb jumped up on her suddenly and split her juice a little over her top. Probably shouldn't have laughed, but it was slightly amusing!


My gran with Rhubarb

8. Tell us the things that made you cry.
One of the worst things to happen this year was when my son fell and hit his head when we were in Aberdeen on holiday. It was awful.

Another thing that made my cry was going for my colonoscopy. It was not a pleasant experience.

9. Tell us the things your child or children did to make you feel proud.
* Despite my son's accident being horrendous, he was actually so brave and I was so proud at how well be behaved whilst he was at hospital.

* My daughter has given her Taggie blanket to Santa this year and so far, so good. She's managed a week now without it.

* Lastly, but not least - my son has settled in amazingly well at school and I'm so proud of the progress he is making.

10. Tell us the things that made you proud of yourself. 
* Securing a new job.

* Being shortlisted for a BritMums BiBs award.

* Being selected to be a #Team14 blogger for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games

11. Tell us the challenges you overcame. 
This year before my son started school I went to mediation with my ex and we managed to set up a new routine for childcare. This was a huge challenge: it was not an enjoyable process by any means and I had to compromise on what I felt was right for the children. But the children are now settled in this new routine and the handovers are now at school which has actually worked out well.

On a lighter note, another challenge was the Tarzan swing at Go Ape.

12. Tell us the things you would like to change about your life in 2015.

I'm becoming less convinced by resolutions as I never seem to be able to stick to them, and then feel guilty for not doing so.

Anyway, if I was forced to pin down a few things I'd like to change, then this is what they'd be:

* Lose a few pounds (ideally want to lose 7-10 pounds, so it's more than a few!)

* Become more organised - Rick has bought me a FiloFax for my Christmas and I'm just waiting on it arriving. I'm looking forward to using it and have already purchased a few bits and pieces from Paperchase to make it look pretty!


* Dye my hair blonde again. I dyed my hair back to my natural colour (light brown) because I needed a break from the monthly hairdresser visits. I basically couldn't afford it anymore. But I miss being blonde so I'll be getting some highlights soon.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking part again Sarah. You have had a full year and this says a lot about you as a positive person and one who I admire. I always associate you with pretty things and style. Love the kittens and Rhubarb is so very like our Indiana (name was not my idea1). Have a really good feeling about 2015 and look forward to a divorce party even if only online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for your kind words Kate. I've enjoyed doing these annual round-ups. It's nice to reflect on the year and equally look back at the old answers too. Hoping we both have great years :) x

      Delete
  2. That article is new for me I enjoyed a lot when I read that article. I get much new information from this site that’s why I want next visit very soon. So please keep posting me.

    affordable colonoscopy LA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these posts and I love that you called your cats Rhubarb and Crumble! A lovely insight into the woman behind the blog x

    ReplyDelete

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...